Skip to content

Personal Licence


Please email your application forms and copies of the required documents, together with an electronic photo of yourself, to You will need to pay using the online payment method detailed on this page. We cannot accept cash or cheque payments at this time.



  • You must be 18 or over
  • You must possess an approved licensing qualification
  • You must not have had a personal licence forfeited in the past 5 years
  • If you have been convicted of a relevant offence under section 4 of the Licensing Act 2003 or a foreign offence your application may be refused




Apply for a Licence

  • Completed application form
  • Completed disclosure of criminal convictions and declaration form
  • Basic Disclosure obtained from the Disclosure and Barring Service - The disclosure must not have been issued more than one calendar month before the personal licence application is submitted.
  • Certificate of personal licence qualification
  • Two passport size photographs with a statement on the back of one saying "I agree this is true likeness of ……" and endorsed by a solicitor, notary or person with a professional qualification or person of standing (If you are sending us an electronic photograph during the Coronavirus Pandemic you do not need to get a 'true likeness' statement)
  • Documentation showing proof of right to work in the Uk. List of acceptable documents
  • Fee £37 (see below for ways to pay)
  • Forms and documents  should be emailed to
  • If you want to post documents send to: The Licensing Section, Stroud District Council, Ebley Mill,Ebley Wharf, Stroud, GL5 4UB. Please do not send a cheque as we cannot process them. You will need to pay using the methods below


How to Pay

Online (see link and instructions below)

Telephone payment by ringing the Licensing Team on 01453 754440

We cannot accept cheques or cash payments at this time.


Instructions for paying online

  1. Click here to open Stroud District Council's online payment page
  2. Under 'Payment Types' select Licensing Act 2003.
  3. Using the down arrow in the drop down list under 'Please Select a service to pay for', choose the type of application you are making eg  'Personal Licence New Application' or 'Replacement Badge' 
  4. Click on the blue select box which will bring up the correct fee.
  5. Enter your details in the boxes. If you do not have a reference number just put 'none'
  6. At the bottom click on 'Add to List'
  7. Your payment should now show under 'Payment Review'
  8. You can add additional payments by selecting another option in the 'Please Select a service to pay for' drop down. Enter your details and click on 'Add to List'. Your additional payment(s) will now also show under 'Payment Review'
  9. When you have selected all payments you wish to make, click 'Pay' which will take you to a Payment  Screen
  10. Enter your card details and click on 'Submit'
  11. Double check payment details and then click 'Confirm'
  12. Enter your email address and you will automatically receive a receipt


Change of Name or Address

If you change your address or your name you must contact the Licensing Authority that issued your personal licence.

If your licence was issued by Stroud District Council you must do the following.

  • Give us the details of the new name or address by emailing
  • Return your current personal licence to Stroud District Council
  • Pay a fee of £10.50 (See how to pay above)

We will then reissue your personal licence with the new details


Police objections to your application

The police can object to your application if you have been convicted of a relevant offence under Schedule 4 of the Licensing Act 2003 or a foreign conviction. (See the list of relevant convictions). The Police must make an objection within 14 days of receiving the application. If the police make an objection a hearing must be held to consider your application


Right of appeal

If the Licensing Authority rejects your application for a personal licence you have right of appeal to the magistrates court within 21 days of being notified of the decision.

  • filepng Right to work in the UK

    A personal licence may not be issued to an individual who does not have the right to live and work in the UK or is subject to a condition preventing him or her from doing work relating to the carrying on of a licensable activity.

Share this page

We use cookies to improve user experience. If you continue, we will assume you are happy to accept cookies from this website. Continue