Skip to content

Starting a new food business

When starting a new food business or taking over an existing one it is important to get it right first time.

We offer advice packages on design, layout, structural issues and general food hygiene to ensure the food you sell is safe and help you get the best possible food hygiene rating. We can also advise you about health and safety and potential problems such as odour nuisance.

You will need to check that you have any necessary planning and building regulations approvals for the premises to be used as a food business and will therefore need to contact the Council's planning and building control services.

You will need to put in place a documented food safety management system. The Food Standards Agency has developed a simple system called Safer Food Better Business (SFBB) for caterers and retailers. SFBB is not suitable for all businesses. Complex or high risk processes such as food manufacturing or butchers shops will need more detailed plans based on HACCP principles. You will also need to arrange food hygiene training for yourself, your manager and your staff. See link to training courses offered by the Council.

Any business that serves alcohol; provides regulated entertainment or operates after 11.00pm will need to be licensed and you should contact the Licensing team for further information.

The booklet "starting up - your first steps to running a catering business" can be downloaded below

28 days before you start trading you will need to register your premises with the Council. Registration is free and further details and the form can be found in the food premises registration section.

Share this page