COVID-19 Additional Relief Fund (CARF)
On 15 December 2021, the Government announced details of the COVID-19 Additional Relief Fund. Please read the below information on eligibility criteria and how to apply.
Stroud District Council has been allocated £2,344,761 by the government from the COVID-19 Additional Relief Fund (CARF). The Council has developed a discretionary policy in order to fairly and appropriately allocate the relief.
The Fund is open for applications until midnight Friday 26 August 2022.
To be eligible, a business must be able to demonstrate they have been adversely affected by the pandemic and have been unable to adequately adapt to that impact. Evidence may be requested as part of the application process which may include bank statements, accounts, profit and loss figures. Please prepare any evidence you may wish to present prior to starting the application process.
To be eligible, a business must be operating from a business rated premises and was the liable party on the 1 April 2021 and must still be in occupation of the property on the date of application.
The relief is intended to support businesses who have been unable to access previous schemes. As a result, relief will not be awarded if the business has received or was eligible for the Extended Retail Discount (covering Retail, Hospitality and Leisure), the Nursery Discount or the Airport and Ground Operations Support Scheme.
Additional businesses will also be excluded from accessing the scheme, including:
- Businesses in receipt of 100% Small Business Rates Relief,
- Businesses in receipt of or would be eligible for Retail, Hospitality, Leisure Relief
- Businesses that are not liable to pay any business rates during the 2021/22 financial period
- Empty properties
- Hospitals, and healthcare settings
- Medical and healthcare providers (including dentists and vets)
- Schools and other premises used for educational purposes
- Police stations and other premises, Court premises
- Financial Services (e.g. banks, building societies, cash points, bureaux de change, short term loan providers)
- Medical Services (e.g. vets, dentist, doctors, osteopaths, chiropractors)
- Post office, sorting offices and delivery services
- Professional services (e.g. solicitors, accountants, Insurance agents, employment/recruitment agencies financial advisors, chartered surveyors, architects)
- property management and property development companies (including letting agents and rating management/consultants)
- Advertising rights, Communication stations
- Utility providers and companies in the energy sector,
- Land only rating assessments
- Storage lockers and premises used for personal storage purposes
- Businesses that cannot satisfactorily demonstrate they have been adversely affected by the pandemic and have suffered financially
- Businesses that do not meet the eligibility criteria
Business listed in the Exclusions list may still apply if they can demonstrate they have been severely impacted and the Council will consider the application on a case-by-case basis.
Please read the policy above before you apply.
Please complete one application per business rates account.
All grants made under this scheme to be subsidy allowance compliant. For further details on subsidy allowance please read subsidy page below.