Skip to content

Business licences

The following provides an overview of Licences and Permits issued by Stroud District Council in respect of businesses within the district. To apply for any of these licences below please see the apply for a licence section.

Environmental permits

Under the Environmental Permitting Regulations, some industrial activities that have the potential to cause pollution are required to hold Environmental Permits.

The Permits set conditions that protect the environment through the use of agreed industry-wide ‘Best Available Techniques’. Some Permits are issued by Stroud District Council, whilst others are issued by the Environment Agency.

Officers work closely with industry to help improve environmental performance and to ensure compliance with regulations. They are always prepared to advise at an early stage in the process to provide appropriate and timely guidance.

Operators who are unsure whether they need a Permit are recommended to contact the Environmental Protection team to discuss the requirements in detail.

Boarding of animals

To run a boarding kennel or cattery, or to board dogs in your own home, you need an annual licence from the local authority.

Officers visit each premise to check compliance with the legislation and set Licence conditions prior to the issuing of a Licence. The number of dogs and cats that may be accommodated will be specified on the licence along with other specific conditions.

Dog breeding

Under Breeding of Dogs legislation, you must have a Licence from the local authority to keep a breeding establishment for dogs. Premises must be inspected by a local authority officer and a vet prior to issuing of the Licence.

Dangerous wild animals

Legislation requires that Licences are required from the local authority to keep certain animals. An application must be made to the local authority who will inspect, with a vet, the premises where the animal is to be kept to ensure that conditions such as cages, food are suitable.

Pet shops

To run a business selling pet animals, you need a Licence from the local authority. This includes all commercial selling of pet animals, including pet shops and businesses selling animals over the internet.

Officers inspect the premises to check compliance with general health and safety requirements and also the welfare of the animals prior to the issue of a Licence.

Riding establishments

To run a riding establishment (where horses or ponies are hired out for riding or used for riding instruction), you need a Licence from the local authority.

Before deciding an application, the local authority must consider a report from a vet detailing whether the premises are suitable for a riding establishment and detailing the condition of the premises and any horses.


Under the Zoo Licensing Act 1981, any establishment where wild animals are kept for exhibition to the public (otherwise than for the purposes of a circus or a pet shop) requires a Licence from the local authority. In order to issue the Licence the authority will inspect the premises and consult other local agencies such as police, fire, planning authority. Licences are initially issued for four years, although they are usually granted for six years on renewal.

Share this page