Current & Future Elections

Current & Future Elections

There are no current elections in the Stroud District. The last elections were the Parliamentary (General), District and Parish/Town council elections on 7 May 2015


    Election Type


    Election Date

    District and Parish/Town*

    4 years

    May 2016

    Gloucestershire Police and Crime Commissioner

    4 years

    May 2016

    Gloucestershire County Council

    4 years

    May 2017

    European Parliamentary

    5 years

    May 2019

    Parliamentary (General Election)

    5 years

    May 2020

Election Results 2015

Candidate Information

Information for Potential Candidates

Nomination packs for all elections will be available on Wednesday 18th February please contact us if you wish to receive a pack.

Phone: 01453 754886
Email: elections@stroud.gov.uk

Checking and Submitting Nomination Papers:

Electoral Services are available to informally check nomination papers. Please feel free to contact us to make an appointment, or visit us at the Council Offices.

Please note that if you are an agent delivering multiple nomination papers it would be advisable to contact the elections team to make an appointment.

Local Elections

Candidates and Agents for the District and Parish Elections are invited to attend a Nomination briefing at 2pm  in the Council Chamber on 14th April 2015 for information relating to standing as a candidate.   Please email the Elections Team at elections@stroud.gov.uk by 13th February if you wish to attend.

Guidance about standing as a District or Parish Councillor is available here from the Electoral Commission.

Receipt of Nominations starts on the 31st of March and ends at 4pm on Thursday 9th April 2015. Nomination papers may be submitted between 9am and 5pm on working days only

Nomination papers may be submitted between 9am and 5pm on working days only.

UK Parliamentary Election

A Candidates and Agents briefing for the UK Parliamentary General Election will be held 3.30pm in the Council Chamber on the 14th April 2015 for information related to the election.  Please email the Elections Team at elections@stroud.gov.uk by 13th February if you wish to attend.

Please click here to access the  Election timetable

Receipt of Nominations starts on the 1st of April and ends at 4pm on Thursday 9th April 2015.

Nomination papers may be submitted between 10am and 4pm on working days only.

Information for Electors (Public)

Register to Vote

You must be included on the Electoral Register by law. If you are not on the register, you cannot vote. Being registered for Council Tax and/or benefits does not mean that you will automatically appear on the Register of Electors.

You can register to vote at any time but during election periods there are deadlines set down by government. If you are not on the Electoral register you can now register to vote at www.gov.uk/register-to-vote

To register you must be:

  • over 16 ( but you cannot vote in an election until you are 18)
  • a citizen of Britain, the Commonwealth, Irish Republic or European Union member state

Note: You will need to tell us if you move house and also renew your registration every year.

Changes to the Registration system - Individual Electoral Registration

The way that everyone registers to vote has changed. In June 2014 the government introduced a new system called Individual Electoral Registration.

This means that each new elector will need to provide their National Insurance Number and date of birth. This will allow the application to be checked against the Department for Work and Pensions database before an elector is added to the register.

If your information does not match then we will write and ask you to provide documents that confirm your identity. The aim of the new process is to provide a more convenient, secure and modern way of registering to vote. The changes mean that the electoral register will be more accurate and will improve the integrity of the system and engagement with each potential voter.

The Electoral and the Open Register

Please choose an option.

The Annual Canvas 2015

Look out for your Register of Electors Household Enquiry Form which will be delivered to all residential properties in Stroud mid-August 2015.

The form is pre-printed with the details we currently hold for your household. This is not a registration form but you do need to respond even if there are no changes to the details.

Please respond to the forms as quickly as possible; this helps to reduce costs to Stroud Council as we will not need to send a reminder. Reminders will be sent from the 8 September 2015 to all households where no response has been received – although some may cross in the post.

If we still have not received a response by the 7th October 2015, residents may receive a visit from a personal canvasser.

Please do not assume that because you were registered last year your name will be automatically included in this year's register. Also, being on the Council Tax Register does not automatically mean that you are on the Register of Electors; the two registers contain different information.

By completing the registration process, you will ensure that you can vote in the first whole council election and the Police and Crime Commissioner elections in May 2016.

If you have not received your Household Enquiry form by the 24th August, or if you have a query about who is eligible to register to vote, please contact our helpline during normal office hours on 01453 754886 or email us via elections@stroud.gov.uk.

What you need to do

Please don’t ignore the letter!

» If nothing has changed:

Even if all of the information listed on the form is correct, you must respond in order to stop any further reminders being sent and a visit to your property from one of our canvassers. Confirm the information is correct by one of the following ways

  • do it online at www.registerbyinternet.com/stroud
  • call 0800 197 9871
  • text NOCHANGE and your security code to 80212
  • sign the declaration on page 3 of the form and return the form in the pre-paid envelope provided (if nobody is eligible to vote include a reason, E.g. empty, business, 2nd home, none, other)

» If you need to add a name(s):

Please note: If you add someone’s details to the form, they will also need to register themselves at www.gov.uk/registertovote before they can appear on the register. If you have not done this within two weeks of returning your Household Enquiry form or do not have access to the internet we will post a registration form to each person added to the form.

» If anything is wrong on the form (E.g. your name has changed):

  • do it online at www.registerbyinternet.com/stroud
  • cross the name out, put the correct information in the changes box and return the form in the pre-paid envelope provided

Please note that if your name has changed, we will need to see a copy of your marriage certificate/ deed poll. You can scan this in and email it to us at elections@stroud.gov.uk, provide it in person at the Council Offices, Ebley Mill or send us a copy in the post.

» If anyone has moved out/no longer resident at the address:

Please note: We will need to send a letter addressed to the person who has moved out to confirm that they will be removed from the register. You can also call our helpline 01453 754886 to confirm the information or make any changes

Unless you are sending your form back by post, you will need your security codes printed on the inside of the form for the automated services.

Monthly registration updates are suspended from 1 October until 1 December whilst the canvass process is completed.

What happens next?

If you confirm that there are no changes, we won’t write to you again as part of the 2015 canvass.

The Household enquiry form is not an application to go on the register - if you tell us there are new people eligible to be registered, we’ll send each a separate application called an invitation to register form which will be addressed to the individual. Alternatively you can register at www.gov.uk/registertovote.

You will need your National Insurance number and date of birth.

Your National Insurance number can be found on your National Insurance card or letter, or on official paper work such as payslips or letters about tax or benefits. If you cannot find your National Insurance number, visit www.gov.uk/lost-national-insurance-number.

Remember: we must still have the household enquiry information completed either online or by returning the form.

If you haven’t been given a National Insurance number, you will need to provide a reason when applying. We will then contact you to provide further evidence as to your identity.

If you tell us someone has moved away, we'll send them a further letter so that we can confirm this information. This is because we need to have two pieces of evidence to remove an elector from the register.

The Annual Canvass Frequently Asked Questions

Why should I respond?

The law says that you must respond to the annual electoral canvass form. If you do not register, it will not only affect your right to vote, it may also affect your ability to open a bank account, get credit, a loan or a mortgage as the full register is checked by authorised credit agencies.

Do not register only when you need a mortgage or finance – Due to prescribed processes and timings that we must observe by law it can take several weeks before your entry is visible to credit agencies.

Don’t delay - You can save time and expense to the taxpayer and avoid receiving reminders and personal visits by responding to the canvass form promptly after you have received in August.

The revised Register of Electors will be published by 1st December 2015 and you must respond no later than the 20th November 2015 to be included. If you do not register during the canvass, you can still apply to have your name added to the register. Applications to amend the register are dealt with each month, apart from September, October and November.

Who can be added to the register?

To be eligible to register to vote in England a person must be:

  • Aged 16 or over (a person may register to vote at 16, but may not vote until they are 18)
  • A British or qualifying Commonwealth citizen who has leave to enter and remain in the UK or does not require such leave.
  • A citizen of the Republic of Ireland or other European Union (EU) member state.

It’s particularly important that anyone who has moved address recently looks out for the form and checks whether they are registered.

Can I register at two addresses?

Normally people are registered at one address - their permanent home address. Students may register at both their term-time address and their non-term-time address. If you are living somewhere temporarily but have a permanent address elsewhere, you should register at the permanent address.

Having a second home doesn’t necessarily mean that you can register there as well as at your permanent address. A person’s name may appear on the electoral register only if they reside at an address within the electoral area. Residence is not defined in law; however, in England and Wales it has been held by the courts to entail a ‘considerable degree of permanence’.

However, it is unlikely that ownership of a second home that is used only for recreational purposes would meet the residency qualification. Ownership of a second home that a voter pays council tax on but is not resident in does not qualify them to be registered to vote in that area. It is for the local Electoral Registration Officer to decide in the light of an individual voter’s circumstances whether they may be said to be resident at an address, and therefore eligible for registration. Electoral Registration Officers are required to consider each case on its own merits.

Do I need to re-register each year?

Once you’re registered under the new system you don’t need to register again unless you change address or name. However you will receive a form called a Household Enquiry Form every year, even if you are already registered. The purpose of the form is to confirm who lives at your address. This means we can invite other residents, including any 16 and 17 year-olds, to register to vote if we need to

My husband and I are hoping to go and live abroad - can we still register and vote?

Yes you can, but Overseas Electors need to complete a separate registration form. If you are/will be living overseas permanently and would like to register please contact Electoral Services and ask how to register as an overseas elector.

Can I still register to vote although I am working overseas?

If you are working away from home for less than six months then you can still register at your home address.

I am currently serving in the armed forces how should I register?

Services Electors (Army, Royal Navy, RAF) can now register in either of two ways. They may register as a civilian or they may register specifically as a service voter. If you wish to register as a service voter please contact electoral services to find out how to register. Please note that service voters only have to register once every five years.

I am concerned that by putting my personal details on the register my details will be sold on or used for other purposes, what should I do?

Make sure you opt out of the Open register if you do not want your name to appear on this version of the register for the coming year. The council must make the Open register available for general sale and it can be used for any purpose.

Everyone will be included in the Full register, which is used for voting purposes and supplied to the Credit Reference Agencies.

Please contact us on 01453 754886 if you need more information on opting out or, for serious cases, anonymous registration.

Why do people over 70 years old have to be identified?

If you are over 70, please indicate this on your form or when you register online. Anyone over 70 is no longer eligible to perform Jury service and we have to supply this information to the Jury Summoning Service.

Why do 16 or 17 year olds have to give their dates of birth? Surely they are too young to vote anyway?

As soon as someone reaches their 18th birthday, they can vote in relevant elections from that day onwards, providing that they are on the Register of Electors. By putting those young people on the register with a date of birth, they will automatically become eligible to vote at the appropriate time, without having to make their own application to go on the register once they become 18.

Why do you need to know my nationality?

Only people who are British, Irish, Commonwealth citizens or citizens of the European Union are eligible to go on the register. Depending on the type of election being contested, there are further restrictions on who is eligible to vote on the grounds of nationality - for example, European citizens cannot vote in UK Parliamentary Elections, but can vote in local elections.

I am a citizen of a European or Commonwealth country do I still need to be registered?

Yes - If you are from a European Union or Commonwealth country then please state your nationality when you register (if you are unsure of your nationality, please list the nationality shown on your passport).

Why do you need to know my previous address if I moved within the last year?

Even though you should tell the Electoral Registration Officer by law when you move house, some people forget to do so. By giving us your old address, we can check our records and make sure that your details have been removed from your old property.

Why do you need my contact details - are these going to be published anywhere or passed on to anyone else?

We find it extremely useful to have either a contact telephone number or e-mail address for you. If we have a query during the canvass or in the run up to an election, we may need to contact you urgently and this helps us to do so.

We do not divulge these details to anyone else - they are purely for the use of the Electoral Services Office.

Why do we need to tell the Elections Office and the Council Tax Office if we move - surely it's all just one Council?

Think of it in the same way as having a car - you need to get your car insured and you also need to get it taxed. You need both things, but have to get them from two different places.

The Council Tax Office keeps records of the main householder who pays the bills, with perhaps a note of just their partner, husband or wife. The Electoral Registration Officer keeps a list of all eligible electors living at the property.

It is a legal requirement for you to inform the Electoral Registration Officer where you are living.

Why do you keep sending me these forms every year? It's a waste of my time and the Council's money!

It's the law. We need to compile accurate records and this is our way of obtaining information from each householder.

Why has someone come to my house to ask me for information?

If we still haven't received a reply by a certain date, we employ canvassers to go door knocking in some areas. It is their job to chase up any outstanding information.

I have a query which is not covered by any of the sections listed above. Who should I contact for help?

Contact Stroud’s Electoral Services helpline on 01453 754886.

Security and privacy

Will my details be shared with other organisations?

Using information received from the public, registration officers keep two registers - the electoral register and the open register (also known as the edited register).

The electoral register lists the names and addresses of everyone who is registered to vote in public elections. The register is used for electoral purposes, such as making sure only eligible people can vote. It is also used for other limited purposes specified in law, such as detecting crime (e.g. fraud), calling people for jury service and checking credit applications.

The open register is an extract of the electoral register, but is not used for elections. It can be bought by any person, company or organisation. For example, it is used by businesses and charities to confirm name and address details.

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote.

How do I join or get removed from the open (edited) register?

Link to open register form

Your name and address will be included in the open register unless you ask for them to be removed. Removing your details from the open register does not affect your right to vote. You can change your opt-out preference at any time by making a request with your full name, address and an indication of whether you wish to be included in or omitted from the edited register. You can do this using the form above, emailing elections@stroud.gov.uk or over the phone by calling 01453 754886. We will also write to you to confirm any change.

The Electoral Register

When you register to vote, your name is entered onto the electoral register. The register is updated on the first working day of every month. The register is a public document used mainly as a list of voters for election purposes. The register is also used for other reasons set down in law such as security, crime detection or jury service. It is also used by credit agencies to confirm individual’s addresses, so not being on the register may affect your credit rating.

The Open Register

The open register can be purchased by anyone. If you do not wish to appear on the open register you can request to ‘opt out’. If you opt out of the Open Register your right to vote will not change. To opt out of the open register complete the online form or email elections@stroud.gov.uk with your full name and address.

Absent Votes

If you are not able to get to your polling station to vote because for example you are unwell or on holiday, you can apply for an absent vote.

Please choose an option.

Voting by Post

Voting by post is an easy and convenient way of voting. Complete the online form or contact electoral services and we will send you a postal vote application form. You can apply for a postal vote for one specific election or for as long as you choose.

You can also download an application form. Please print out the application and complete by hand. Then scan or post this back to elections@stroud.gov.uk. Please be aware that you are not able to sign this form electronically.

When voting by post you are required to complete a postal vote statement which you must return with your ballot papers. We check this information against the information you supply on your application form to make sure that no one else can use your vote.

It is also recommended if you will be overseas during the election period there may not be enough time for you to receive and return a postal vote. It would be sensible to nominate a proxy in this instance. Postal ballot papers are usually delivered 2 weeks before an election. If you will be on holiday or out of the country, we would strongly recommend that you nominate a proxy instead of voting by post.

Voting by Proxy

This is where you nominate someone to vote on your behalf. You may wish to do this is if you have someone you trust to vote on your behalf. Your proxy would have to vote at your normal polling station. It is also recommended if you will be overseas during the election period there may not be enough time for you to receive and return a postal vote. It would be sensible to nominate a proxy in this instance. Complete the online form or contact electoral services and we will send you a proxy application form.

Voting by Postal Proxy

A postal proxy is where you nominate a proxy to vote on your behalf. If that proxy cannot vote at your polling station the proxy may request to vote by post on your behalf, where the electors ballot papers will be posted to the proxy address.

To request an absent vote application form please contact electoral services at elections@stroud.gov.uk and be sure to provide the name and address of the elector you are acting on behalf of.

Election Updates

Election Notices

New Electoral Arrangements

The independent Local Government Boundary Commission for England published its final recommendations for new electoral arrangements for Stroud District Council in June 2015.

The Commission’s final recommendations propose that Stroud should be represented by 51 district councillors in the future: the same as the current arrangement.

The recommendations also propose that those councillors should represent 27 wards made up of:

  • 9 three-member wards
  • 6 two-member wards
  • 12 single-member wards

The map below shows the new electoral arrangements against the current electoral arrangements.

Current and New Electoral Arrangements - Map

The new electoral arrangements will be implemented at the whole council elections in May 2016.

To view the full report and further information regarding the Electoral Review visit the Local Government Boundary Commission Website

Register of Electors 2012/13

We are currently carrying out the Annual Canvass to update our Electoral Register 2012/13, which by law we must do every year. We use the information that you give to compile a new Register of Electors which will be published on the 16 October 2012. A canvass form will be delivered to every home in the district. If you have not received yours by the 9 July 2012 or have any other queries, please contact our helpline on: 01453 754886. The deadline for responses is the 15 October 2012.


The Annual Canvass will be taking place earlier this year because of the Police and Crime Commissioner Election to be held on the 15 November 2012. You must be on the Register of Electors to vote in the Police and Crime Commissioner Election.


Quick guide to Voter Registration

By law, everyone entitled to vote has to register every year to ensure that they keep their right to vote. All you need to do is follow the steps below. It will only take a couple of minutes.

You need to be included on the registration form if you are:

  • 18 and over
  • British, Irish, European or qualifying Commonwealth Citizen - List of Commonwealth countries - PDF, 35KB
  • 16/17 years old (so that you are eligible to vote as soon as you turn 18)
  • Living at an address within the Stroud District on 15 October 2012

Step 1

Please check the information on the canvass form to see if it is correct. The canvass form will either list the people currently on the electoral register for your address, or be blank if there are no electors.

Step 2

Are there any changes needed to be made to the information?

If changes are not needed:

If there are no changes, you can simply confirm the details are correct by choosing one of the following four options:

  • Text
    Text your unique security number to 80212. (Please note that texts will be charged at your provider's standard rates).
  • Online
    Go to the website ....and type in the unique security code printed on your canvass form when prompted.
  • Telephone
    Freephone 0800 197 3112 or for alternative languages 0800 1073112 and confirm details over the telephone.
  • Post
    Just sign and date the form and post it back in the pre-paid envelope.

If changes are needed:

The most common changes are:

  • Adding names
    - you need to write in the details of anyone aged 18 or over living at your address who is not shown on 'Part 1' of the canvass form. (Please write in BLOCK CAPITALS).
    - you need to write in the details of anyone aged 16 or 17 who lives at your address in 'Part 1' of the form with their date of birth. (Please write in BLOCK CAPITALS).
  • Removing names
    You can remove the details of someone who is no longer at your address by the putting a line through their name.
  • Name changes
    If someone has changed their name, please put a line through the part of the name that needs changing and write the new name in BLOCK CAPITALS.
  • Spelling mistakes
    Please let us know about any spelling mistakes by putting a line through the error and writing the correct spelling next to it.

Please note - we can only action the changes if we receive a signed and dated form. Therefore once you have marked the changes, please take care to sign the canvass form and post it back in the pre-paid envelope.

Frequently Asked Questions

Text registration - do I leave spaces in between the personal security codes?

It does not matter if you leave spaces between each set of numbers or not.

I've only got a mobile phone - can I use that to register?

Yes - you can register using a mobile phone rather than a landline, but please be aware that it will not be a "freephone" call - your usual mobile phone network charges will apply.

How do I know if my details have been received?

People successfully registering by phone will hear a "thank you" message; by text, will receive a confirmation receipt text; and by internet, will receive a written electronic reply. Due to the high volume of paperwork being received and postage costs involved, hand-written forms cannot be acknowledged.

Do I have to remember my security codes for the future?

No - They are there to enable you to register by telephone, text or internet during this canvass period only. You should only register by telephone, text or internet if no householder details have changed.

The details pre-printed on my form are wrong - what should I do?

You will need to cross out anything that is no longer valid and add any new information to the form. Please then sign it at the bottom of the front page and send it back to the Council using the pre-paid envelope that we have provided for you.

I've tried to make changes on the phone/internet, but it wouldn't let me do it - what should I do now?

The telephone or internet should only be used if there are no changes to make. If you have registered in this way or used text messaging by mistake, you will now need to cross out anything on the form that is no longer valid and add any new information to the form. Please then write on the form that it is a "Change to earlier registration", sign it and send it back to the Council, so that we can make the amendments for you manually. If you have destroyed the form before realising your mistake, please contact the Elections Team 01453 754886 to obtain a new form.

None of the details on my form have changed - do I need to do anything, or can I just throw the form away?

We still need you to verify the information, even if it is all correct. You can use the freephone telephone number and key in your security codes using a touch-tone keypad, or you can use the internet or text to register your form, again using your security codes. Whilst these are the quickest and cheapest forms of registering, if you do not wish to use these services, you can simply sign and return the form to us using the pre-paid envelope provided.

I'm moving house soon, but I haven't got the actual date yet - what should I do?

The 2012/13 Register is compiled and published based on where you are living as at 15 October 2012.

  • Cross out your details but leave the form at the property for the new occupiers to complete and send in to us. Hopefully there will be a similar form left for you at the property that you are moving into. If not, please contact us and we can send you a replacement form for your new address instead.
  • If you are moving after 15 October 2012, complete the form as normal (or use the electronic registration options if there are no changes to make), but do remember to contact us again after you have moved, so that we can send you a "rolling registration" form to amend your details.

Why has the form still got the old occupiers' details on it, when we told you that we'd moved in?

This may be for one of three reasons:-

  • You may have informed the Council Tax Office that you had moved in, but did not complete and return a "rolling registration" form to send to the Electoral Services Office;
  • If you did complete a "rolling registration" form, it could be that we had not received formal notification that the previous occupants had moved out.
  • The previous occupants may have moved out but forgotten to let the Electoral Services Office know their new address within the District, or we have not received notification from another Electoral Officer elsewhere in the country to confirm that they have now registered in that area instead.

I've just received a reminder, but I filled in the original form sent to me. You're trying to cut spending at the Council, so why have you done this?

We need to send data to the printers about 10 days before the reminders are delivered to householders, so your form may have been received after the data was prepared. The easiest thing is to telephone us to see whether your form has been received during that 10 day period, or else simply complete the second one and send it back to us in the pre-paid envelope provided. We would prefer you to complete two forms, rather than none at all.

Can I just forward this form to the people who used to live here for them to complete?

No - The form is for that specific property and the new householder(s) should complete the details themselves. The people who used to live at that address will be getting their own form, which will be addressed to their new property.

Why do I have to tell you if I'm over 70?

This relates to jury service. The law requires us to compile a register of those who are eligible to sit on a jury. People aged 70 and over cannot sit on a jury. Those who may not be able to sit on a jury for other reasons will be able to say so if they receive a jury summons.

My father has gone into hospital temporarily - can I sign the form on his behalf or should I wait until he comes home again?

Anyone can sign the form to confirm that the details are still correct or need amending. Please fill in your contact details for us, so that we can get hold of you if we have any queries with the information provided.

My mother has gone into residential care - how do I let you know about this?

Take her name off the registration form, sign it and return it to us for processing. All Nursing Homes will have received a registration form, and they are responsible for adding her name to their records. You may wish to contact us towards the end of the canvass period to check that we have had the details returned from the Nursing Home.

My daughter is going off to university soon - should she be included on the form or not?

Many students remain registered at their parents' house whilst they are away studying. This saves them having to register at their student accommodation. Many also apply for a postal vote and have their ballot paper sent to their college address, or appoint someone back home to vote on their behalf at their usual polling station.

My son has joined the army - should I still include him on my form?

Your son can remain on the register at your property as an "ordinary elector", or else he can register in his own right as a "service voter". Service declarations have to be renewed every five years, but there is a danger that any special voting arrangements which were set up at the beginning of this period may have become outdated - especially if the service voter has not let us know of his/her new posting elsewhere.

Does everyone in the household need to sign the form?

No - Just one person can sign on behalf of everybody else during the canvass period. At other times of the year (December to early August) when "rolling registration" rules apply, each individual must sign their own application. Having said this however, the Government is considering whether or not to introduce individual registration (as in Ireland) throughout the year, but if this does go ahead, this will be well-publicised on a national basis.

Why do we need to tell the Elections Office and the Council Tax Office if we move - surely it's all just one Council?

The register of electors is for voting purposes and includes names of every person in the household entitled to vote- the council tax register does not require all of these details.

I've lost my form - The dog's chewed it - I've made a mistake - My child has scribbled over it! Please help!

Sit tight and don't panic! If we don't get your original form back, then you'll receive a Reminder automatically at the end of July 2012. If the same thing happens again at that stage, please contact us and we can send you a replacement.

The Nomination Process

To stand as a prospective councillor at District or Parish Council Elections, you need to complete a nomination paper. The nomination paper will give details of the candidate's name, address (in full) and political description (if any).  District Council nomination papers have to be attested by a Proposer and Seconder and another 8 people who support the nomination to stand as a candidate.  Town and Parish nomination papers have to be attested by a Proposer and Seconder who support the nomination to stand as a candidate.

Everyone signing the nomination paper must be included on the Register of Electors for the area in which the election is to be held.  If someone signs your nomination paper and they are not included on the relevant Register of Electors, the paper will be declared invalid.

A person wishing to stand as a candidate will be issued with the following:

  • Nomination paper
  • Consent to nomination
  • Appointment of election agent
  • Timetable
  • Candidates' guidance
  • Candidates' expenses form

A candidate who is standing on behalf of a registered political party will also need to submit:

  • Certificate of authorisation
  • Request to use the party emblem

At the close of nominations the candidate will be notified as to whether or not their nomination is valid.  If a candidate wishes to withdraw their nomination they have until no later than noon on the 11 April 2012.

The nomination papers will be available from 14 March 2012 and anyone interested in standing as a candidate should call the Stroud District Council elections team, during office hours on 01453 754886 for a nomination pack, or email elections@stroud.gov.uk.

The deadline for completed nomination forms has now passed.

Police and Crime Commissioners Election

2015 Election Results

Parliamentary Election Results 2015

2015 General Election Results for The Stroud Constituency

Name of Candidate Party Number of Votes
CARMICHAEL, Neil The Conservative Party Candidate 27813
DREW, David Elliott Labour and Co-operative Party 22947
LUNNON, Sarah Green Party 2779
MICHAEL, David Free Public Transport Party 100
STEPHENS, Caroline Ann UK Independence Party (UKIP) 4848
WALKER-SMITH, Adrian Anthony Liberal Democrats 2086
WILSON, Richard Simon Independent 246


Elected: Neil Carmichael
Turn out: 75.66%

2015 General Election Results for The Cotswolds Constituency

Name of Candidate Party Number of Votes
BURGESS, Penelope Clare The Green Party 2626
CLIFTON - BROWN, Geoffrey Robert The Conservative Party Candidate 32045
HARLOW, Christopher William UK Independence Party (UKIP) 6188
HODGKINSON, Paul Richard Liberal Democrats 10568
KANG, Manjinder Singh Labour Party 5240


Elected: Geoffrey Clifton-Brown
Turn out: 72.6%

District Election Results 2015

Parish Election Results 2015

2014 Election Results

Valley by-election results - Thursday 7 August 2014

European Parliamentary Results 2014

District Results 2014

Parish Results 2014

Previous Election Results


Police and Crime Commissioner Results

2012 Results

2011 District and Parish Results

2011 Referendum Results

A referendum on the voting system used to elect MPs took place across the UK on Thursday 5 May 2011.

Alternative Vote Referendum Result - Declaration of Count Totals

2010 Results

2009 Results

2008 Results

2007 Results

2006 Results

2005 Results

2004 Results

2003 Results

2002 Results

PDF document2 May - District election results - PDF, 25KB

2001 Results

2000 Results