Stroud District Council


Stroud District Council is responsible for administering Council Tax and Housing Benefit. We also work to prevent and detect Housing and Council Tax benefit fraud. You can find further on information on benefits via the links on the navigation bar.

Benefit entitlement

Check your benefits entitlement with our online Benefits Calculator (estimate only).

Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP)

Our Discretionary Housing Payment (DHP) scheme is operated by our Benefits team, and used to assist Housing Benefit claimants who may need further financial help with their housing costs, during periods of short term need. Housing costs can include help towards rent, tenancy start up costs and moving costs.

We receive limited funds each year for the DHP scheme. Because the amount that can be spent on the scheme each year is restricted, not everyone who claims a DHP may be awarded one. Who receives DHP is entirely at the discretion of the Council.

Claims must be made in writing using form below and sent to Benefits, Stroud District Council, Stroud, Glos. GL5 4UB

Universal Credit - Important Benefit Changes

Universal Credit is a new benefit designed to replace 6 existing benefits with a single monthly payment. It will eventually replace:

  • Income Support
  • Income Related Job Seeker's Allowance
  • Income Related Employment Support Allowance
  • Housing Benefit
  • Working Tax Credit
  • Child Tax Credit

It will only apply to you if you're making a new claim because you’ve recently become unemployed or are on a low income. It also depends on where you live and your personal circumstances.

Stroud Jobcentre will go live with Universal Credit for single people actively looking for work from June 2015. The scheme will eventually be rolled out to couples and families towards the end of 2016, however this date may be subject to change.

 If you're already claiming one of the six benefits above, and your circumstances stay the same, you will be invited to apply for Universal Credit in the future. If your current circumstances change you may be invited to apply sooner.

Find out more about Universal Credit and how to claim online at GOV.UKor visit

Universal Credit: Are those of State Pension Credit qualifying age affected?

Generally not except for some couples. Universal Credit will not replace Pension Credit. However for new claims, if either member in a couple is under the qualifying age for Pension Credit then the couple will be treated as ‘working age’ and be expected to claim Universal Credit.

*To check your Pension Credit claim qualifying age; visit GOV.UK website or contact the pension service on 0800 991234. You can also check to see if you are entitled to Universal Credit by going to

Report Housing Fraud

Benefit Application Form

Please e-mail: to request a form or telephone: 01453 754054 or visit us at Ebley Mill.